Silk and Sonder raised $3.6M; SenseHawk landed $5.1M; ThoughtRiver secured $10MRead more...
Aria Systems raised $50M; Verizon led $57M in Jana; Vera closed $17M Series B funding
- Vyopta, provider of video collaboration analytics, closed its very first round of venture capital, netting the company a $5 million Series A led by AVX Partners. AVX is managed by Chris Pacitti, a venture capitalist who also serves as general partner at Austin Ventures. In addition to funding, the firm will provide Vypota with a team of "C-suite-level operational advisors" composed of three alumni of Austin-based SolarWinds: former CEO Mike Bennett, former CMO Rita Selvaggi, and former VP of Technology Josh Stephens.
- German startup datapath.io raised a €965,000 ($1.1 million) seed round from Target Partners and Speedinvest to further develop its network performance management platform. Datapath.io, which was founded in May 2015, works with cloud providers and networks providers like Amazon Web Services, Hibernia Networks, and Cogent. The startup previously received seed funding from Techstars and several other investors. This investment from Target Partners and Speedinvest will be used to hire further in engineering and sales and grow its global network.
- Phenomenal Foods, LLC dba “Nomva” closed a $3 million Series A fundraising round. The two lead investors in Nomva’s Series A round are Evolution Media Partners (Evolution) and Taylor Fresh Foods (Taylor Farms). Beckman explained that Nomva will use the new funds to “support and build customer relationships, scale distribution nationwide, and grow internal talent.”
- Student Loan Genius, Austin-based student loan benefits provider, raised $3 million in seed funding, largely spearheaded by Gibraltar Ventures, an affiliate of Prudential, along with an affiliate of John Hancock/Manulife. Other participants in the round included Kapor Capital, which invests in organizations led by diverse teams that develop social impact solutions, Capital Factory and Village Capital.
- Israeli cybersecurity firm Siemplify raised $4 million as it launched its platform that reduces the time between cyber attack identification and resolution. The company, whose investors include 83North Venture Capital, said it uses real-time graph analysis and methodologies gained from military intelligence.
- Nimble Collective raised an $8.5 million round to develop a cloud-based community for aspiring animators. New Enterprise Associates led the round for the Mountain View, California-based startup, which is targeting the estimated 10 million professional and aspiring animators around the globe. Animation is an estimated $90 billion worldwide market, but it remains a tough industry to break into.
- Orion Labs, a startup behind the Onyx push-to-talk wearable device, landed $9 million in new funding from Motorola Solutions Venture Capital and Avalon Ventures. The startup is also unveiling the second version of its Onyx wearable for push-to-talk app-enabled voice communication that some have likened to a Star Trek communicator badge.
- GridGain Systems, provider of the enterprise-grade In-Memory Data Fabric based on Apache Ignite, raised $15 million in Series B financing led by Sberbank and MoneyTime Ventures, with the participation of Almaz Capital and RTP Ventures. Victor Orlovski, General Partner at MoneyTime Ventures, will also join the GridGain board of directors. The funding round will be used to expand sales, marketing and R&D, and to fuel GridGain’s continued international growth.
- Vera closed $17 million in Series B financing, led by Sutter Hill Ventures, with participation from existing investors Battery Ventures, Clear Venture Partners, and Amplify Partners. As part of the financing, Stefan Dyckerhoff, Managing Director at Sutter Hill Ventures will join the Vera board of directors. To date, Vera has raised over $31M in total funding. The injection of new capital will fuel the company's aggressive growth on its mission to become the trusted standard for securing and sharing all forms of business information.
- Jana is a Boston-based mobile Internet company raised $57 million in new venture capital funding led by Verizon Ventures. To date, the company’s mCent product has over 30 million users in 93 developing countries and is integrated into 311 mobile carriers. Jana is the brainchild of Nathan Eagle, who says the genesis came while on sabbatical from his faculty role at the MIT Media Lab.
- Aria Systems, a San Francisco, CA-based provider of an enterprise platform to grow recurring revenue, raised $50 million in Series E funding. Backers included existing investors Bain Capital Ventures, Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, InterWest Partners, Venrock and VMware and new investors Rembrandt Venture Partners, Madison Bay Capital Partners and Hercules Technology Growth Capital. The company intends to use the funds to accelerate fuel marketing, sales and development efforts.
If you are interested in being included in our funding roundup, submit your press release or blog post about your financing round to email@example.com.
Image source: dcinno.streetwise.co
Read more from our "Daily Funding Roundup" series
Anima has raised $2.5M; Avo landed a $3M; Reserved.AI secured $3.3M; Aspinity picks up $5.3Read more...
Peer Medical raised $1.2M; Carewell landed $5M; Boundless Immigration secured $7.5MRead more...
Related Companies, Investors, and Entrepreneurs
Joined Vator on
You’ve got a great idea, a winning product, an amazing team, a great business. You have choices. There are hundreds of firms who could invest in your business. So why choose Battery? Yes, we have a track record of success backing breakthrough companies. We’ve been through hundreds of IPOs and M&A events. We have 30 years of experience. We’ve raised $4.5B since inception and are investing a $900M pool of capital, so yes, we have deep pockets along with big Rolodexes and a smart team.
So what else matters? That we’ll be the most engaged, collaborative and passionate investor around the table. That we remain open to exploring all business ideas, no matter how complicated or far off the beaten track they might at first seem. We will roll up our sleeves and work as hard as you do. We will add value every day, in between board meetings, not just at them. But that doesn’t mean we’ll run your business, we know where to draw the line. We keep our egos in check, operate with integrity and honesty, and put the needs of your business ahead of our own.
Above all, it’s really about chemistry. So get to know us. Talk to the teams we’ve worked with. Ask them how we’ve helped. You’ll discover the value Battery can add long before we write the first check. Here’s a bit more about the companies we’ve backed and the difference we’ve made between a great company and an also-ran.
Joined Vator on
NEA is the entrepreneur’s venture capital firm.
When it is time to take a promising business or business idea to the next level, entrepreneurs want a venture partner who understands and believes in the power of big dreams, bold visions and fresh ideas that have the power to change an industry, a sector, the world.
Moreover, entrepreneurs want a venture partner who knows what it takes—through first-hand experience and carefully nurtured relationships—to make a company succeed, to turn an idea into an action, and to make a plan a reality.
For more than 30 years, NEA has been helping to build great companies. Our committed capital has grown to $13 billion, including a $2.6 billion fourteenth fund closed in 2012. We invest across stage and geography in technology, healthcare and energy.
Remaining nimble as we’ve grown—with more than 65 investment professionals working out of our offices in the US, India, and China and investing across the globe—NEA is the entrepreneur's venture capital firm, consistently ranking among the top firms in portfolio IPOs each year. Since its founding, the firm has backed more than 175 companies that have gone public and invested in more than 290 companies that have been successfully merged or acquired—more liquidity events than any other venture capital firm.
Whether you are seeking investment to get your idea off the ground or looking to propel a proven idea toward greatness, NEA is the venture partner who will be there—because we’ve been there—every step of the way.