They include Creative3, LAUNCH Festival Sydney, CeBIT Pitchfest and Regional PitchfestRead more...
They include 25Fifteen, INCUBATE Accelerator, muru-D and The Melbourne Accelerator Program
For startups, there are numerous paths for getting their name out there. One way, which Vator has been covering recently, are startup competitions, but another popular method to get a foot in the door, as well as some funding and traction, are accelerators. These are programs that provide companies advice, guidance and various forms of support for startups in their early stages. They also often invest in the companies, for a certain equity stake.
Need a list of startup competitions, challenges, accelerators, etc. from around the world? Check out VatorX. You can find them, or list yours!
There are some very well-known accelerators out there, including Y Combinator and 500 Startups, which have made their names through various successful alumni. Those programs fairly general, accepting companies from a variety of different spaces.
For some companies, it may help to join an accelerator that only focuses on their specific area. That's especially true for those in more specialized spaces, which will have their own unique challenges and regulations.
Here are some of the accelerators seeking entrepreneurs in Australia:
"25Fifteen is a startup studio founded by successful tech entrepreneurs and industry veterans. We use our execution experience, capital, and relationships to build valuable businesses that matter to our customers and that matter to us."
Investment amount: We fund the first stage of our projects internally then raise external capital as they grow. We don't charge fees for our resources, so the only way we get a return is when an exit occurs. That makes us very focused on creating companies of value, and on realising that value.
Program benefits: We identify opportunities then build products we understand the demand for. We start allocating resources to projects as early as possible, often before the product is even defined. We get down in the trenches and generate traction. Our design, development, marketing, and other resources help build and test an MVP, and then scale
We collaborate with entrepreneurs to create companies that leverage their expertise. Where we collaborate with another founder ideally we'll join forces to create the company together.
Portfolio companies: GoCatch, Flamingo AI, Tinybeans, Wildcard
"Co-founded in 2012 by two entrepreneurial students and developed by the University of Sydney Union, Australia’s oldest and largest student union, in partnership with the University of Sydney INCUBATE has grown to become a leading startup accelerator program in Australia."
Investment amount: $5,000 equity free seed funding
- Workshops and events by leading innovators
- Mentorship from Australia’s leading entrepreneurs
- 14 weeks of co-working space on campus
Mentor makeup: Ben Lindsay, Natasha Rawlings, Mike Nicholls, Brad Deveson
Portfolio companies: Bioscount, Green Atlas, ShopGrok, Companion Couch, Earth AI
"We’re a startup accelerator running programs in Australia that helps tech founders scale their business smarter and faster. And we’re backed by Telstra, a world-class technology company."
Investment amount: Not specified
Program benefits: Our six-month programs offer you seed funding, global connections to investors, mentors and alumni, co-working space, masterclasses and an international trip to a startup hub.
Portfolio companies: 2ndLease, Cardable, CarePod, ArgiWebb
"A Slingshot Accelerator provides best of breed Startups with access to funding, mentors, and Corporates who are looking to invest. There are other program benefits that help grow a business - like access to AWS and Xero resources."
Investment amount: Not specified
- Space for collaboration and productivity
- Specific guidance for growth
- Access to serial entrepreneurs and leaders as mentors
- Access to resources
- A world class 12 week intensive education program
Portfolio companies: CancerAid, Camplify, The Pelvic Expert
We have designed the Acceleration Program from the ground up to provide what energy entrepreneurs need to succeed, learning from the world's top cleantech accelerators and adapting those lessons for the Australian context."
Investment amount: We will help you raise the capital you need to grow your business, either by helping you prepare to pitch to our angel group or by introducing you to our network of cleantech investors. Startups accepted into our Early Stage Acceleration Program who meet additional criteria are also offered $50,000 in seed capital from Artesian in exchange for an additional 5% equity.
- EnergyLab has an extensive network of mentors from a wide range of backgrounds, such as energy companies, government departments, investment institutions and startups. That means that no matter what you need to know or who you need to talk to, there is a good chance that one of our mentors will be able to help you out.
- Every company in the program is assigned a business coach who has successfully set up, grown and sold at least one business. You will meet with your business coach regularly throughout the program to discuss the challenges facing your startup and how to overcome them.
- EnergyLab is fortunate to be supported by Origin Energy, the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. During the Acceleration Program, each startup is given an opportunity to present to senior management and staff at each of these organisations.
- EnergyLab operates coworking spaces throughout Australia just for clean energy startups. Program participants get a permanent desk in one of these coworking spaces and hot desk membership in the others. More than just a place to get free internet and coffee, this is an opportunity to network with like-minded entrepreneurs.
- Worried about asking a lawyer a question and receiving a $1,000 bill in the mail? Worry no more; while in our Acceleration Program, you can talk to someone from Marque Lawyers or KPMG and a receive basic assistance for free. If you need extensive work done you will be provided with a fixed, no-obligation quote at a special price.
- Throughout the program, EnergyLab will run a series of workshops on a range of topics critical to refining your idea and developing a solid business plan. Topics include sales, marketing, financial modelling and market analysis, and are taught by professionals with experience in those fields.
Portfolio companies: Biopower Solutions, Solar Pack Sheds, InfraDocs, Jaunt, Evolte
"Techstars Adelaide Accelerator, our first APAC program, is based in Australia alongside companies from the defense sector: Boeing, Codan, Saab and Thales. The program supports startups building innovative applications in IoT, big data, sensors, and robotics, with the potential to commercialize technologies in the defense and security sectors. Defense research drives transformative consumer innovation—internet and GPS—and Adelaide is a forward-thinking city, building startup infrastructure."
Investment amount: Upon acceptance to a Techstars mentorship-driven accelerator, every company is offered a $100,000 convertible note.
Techstars contributes $20,000, which is commonly used as a stipend to support living expenses during the program, and in return receives 6% common stock from each company.
- Access to Techstars resources for life;
- Acceleration in a 90-day Techstars mentorship-driven accelerator program with personal mentorship and office space;
- Lifetime access to the Techstars worldwide network of entrepreneurs, including more than 10,000 mentors, 10,000 investors, 1,600 alumni companies, and over 200 staff members;
- Access to over $400k of cash equivalent hosting, accounting, and legal support—plus other credits and perks worth more than $1M;
- Demo Day exposure and other investor connections.
Portfolio companies: Additive Rocket Corporation, CRON Systems, Daitum, Dotterel, IR Sensors, Iridium Dynamics, MySky, NIMIS Cybersecurity, Radiomaze, Teamgage
"ilab Accelerator runs for six-months each year and offers a $20,000 equity-free grant to each team. The program also includes workshops, mentoring, partner deals, desk space and introductions to investors. We welcome startups from all disciplines – from robotics to social enterprises."
Investment amount: Each startup accepted into the program will receive $20,000 in equity-free grant funding.
- incubator space and amenities
- regular seminars supporting early-stage startups
- mentors, our Entrepreneur in Residence and a network of professionals and potential investors
- partnership benefits from Google, Microsoft, AWS, Hubspot, Matlab and more.
Portfolio companies: Brisbane Tool Library, Vygo, Oseyeris
"iAccelerate is a unique business accelerator and incubator program run by the University of Wollongong (UOW). It’s a thriving community of like-minded entrepreneurs with vision, purpose and passion, growing their impact through exceptional education, mentoring and support among inspiring surrounds."
Investment amount: Not specified
Program benefits: The companies are supported by a robust model of education, mentoring, seed funding and unparalleled access to one of the world’s most innovative young research universities. The centre has the most innovative minds, creative ideas and entrepreneurial vibe that make it a unique place to start your business and scale it.
Mentor makeup: Adam de Sola Pool, Matt Bullock, Hamish Hawthorn, William Rosenzweig, Joe Steensma
"We customise our 12-week accelerator program to provide unmatched value in whatever area you’re seeking to improve upon. Startmate’s bespoke content sessions, from the very best mentors, provide opportunities that most startups can’t afford nor access."
Investment amount: $75,000
- Program & office space in Sydney/Melbourne and trip to San Francisco
- Support and a network of connections for further investment
Mentor makeup: Mick Liubinskas, James Cameron, John Henderson, Susan Wu
Portfolio companies: Bioscout, Cogniant.co, Vexev, Vapar
"Open to both for-profit and impact startups, the MAP Accelerator Program is the flagship entrepreneurial initiative of the University of Melbourne."
Investment amount: Each startup also receives $20,000 of equity-free seed funding
- Access to a world-class network of mentors and advisers.
- Co-working office space in the heart of Melbourne's CBD.
- Access to resources, facilities & expertise from the University of Melbourne
- Bespoke masterclasses & training workshops.
- Access to our channel partners & investor networks.
Portfolio companies: Acusensus, BindiMaps, Kelper Analytics, Client Catalyst
"H2 Ventures was founded in 2013 by brothers Ben and Toby Heap. Investing in founding teams from day zero, we become partners for life, providing more than just money. We bring networks, mentoring and operational guidance to bold early-stage entrepreneurs with game-changing ideas in Fintech, Data and AI."
Investment amount: The total investment is $100,000 AUD for a (10%) equity share in the startup. This is made up of $50,000 AUD in cash (to spend as you see fit) plus another $50,000 paid back to H2 in services that covers the costs of being a part of the program (office space etc). The goal is to give you enough money and support to build an impressive prototype and business proposition, which you can then use to get further funding.
Program benefits: We work very closely with the teams throughout the 20 weeks. We purposely sit right next to you at our offices so that you can lean on us throughout the program.
Mentor makeup: Flava Tata Nardini, Craig Davis, Jackie Vullinghs, Mario Hasanakos, Gen George
Portfolio companies: Not specified
(Image source: fdmgroup.com)
Read more from our "Startup Competition Guide" series
They include Start-Up Chile, The Yield Lab Latin America and MassChallenge MexicoRead more...
They include Wharton Latin American Start Up Competition and FINNOSUMMIT ChallengeRead more...