How much they invest, how long the program lasts and what they offerRead more...
They include Start-Up Chile, The Yield Lab Latin America and MassChallenge Mexico
For startups, there are numerous paths for getting their name out there. One way, which Vator has been covering recently, are startup competitions, but another popular method to get a foot in the door, as well as some funding and traction, are accelerators. These are programs that provide companies advice, guidance and various forms of support for startups in their early stages. They also often invest in the companies, for a certain equity stake.
Need a list of startup competitions, challenges, accelerators, etc. from around the world? Check out VatorX. You can find them, or list yours!
There are some very well-known accelerators out there, including Y Combinator and 500 Startups, which have made their names through various successful alumni. Those programs fairly general, accepting companies from a variety of different spaces.
For some companies, it may help to join an accelerator that only focuses on their specific area. That's especially true for those in more specialized spaces, which will have their own unique challenges and regulations.
Here are some of the accelerators seeking entrepreneurs in Latin America:
"Start-Up Chile (SUP) is a public startup accelerator created by the Chilean Government for high-potential entrepreneurs to bootstrap their startups and use Chile as a foundation. Today, Start-Up Chile is the leading accelerator in LATAM, among the TOP 10 globally, and one of the biggest and most diverse startup communities in the world. Start-Up Chile has been a global game changer. After it was created, 50 countries followed suit and created similar programs."
Investment amount: $25,000 to $80,000, depending on the program
- Equity free funding across our programs & over 100K of perks as a participant
- Accelerate your business with the help of our partners
- The program is rich in partners with a strong local and international network of mentors and investors
- A one year working visa and a soft landing when you arrive in Chile to start your business
Mentor makeup: Anabella Mazzuca, Alex Hanke, Karina Hernandez Leal, Fernando Movillo
Portfolio companies: Bitmec, Astrek Innovations, Cárbulam, Shippista
"500 is a venture capital firm on a mission to discover and back the world’s most talented entrepreneurs, help them create successful companies at scale, and build thriving global ecosystems. We were the most active seed stage venture capital firm in the world in 2015, according to CB Insights in 2016. Since its inception in 2010, 500 has provided hundreds of millions of investment dollars, acceleration programs, and support services to thousands of entrepreneurs in over 60 countries."
Investment amount: We invest $60,000 USD in early stage startups
- We will give you tools and recommendations on topics such as: leadership, team, product, technology, finance and many others
- You will be part of 500Strong, our community of thousands of founders
- Weekly meetings with each of us, more than your mentors we will become a founder more
Portfolio companies: Clip, Facturama, Carengo, MiConcierge, Platzi, Sellfone
"NXTP Labs is an early stage entrepreneurial capital firm that invests in technology startups that generate a positive impact on a scale throughout Latin America. With local offices throughout the region and presence in Silicon Valley, the first NXTP fund has invested in more than 190 startups in the last 7 years. In addition to managing a second investment fund focused on Series A, NXTP Labs runs innovation programs for large corporations and manages corporate funds of entrepreneurial capital of different sizes and segments."
Investment amount: Not specified
-300 Active mentors in our network
-150 Co-Investments with Angel investors 150+ & VCs from LATAM, US and Europe
-6 Offices across the region
-400 Founders in our portfolio
-8 Vertical Forums for CEOs, CTOs, CMOs, CFOs
-25 Cities where we are represented
Portfolio companies: Liftit, Securitize, Retail App, Sirena, Uniko
"Launched in 2017, The Yield Lab LATAM was conceived to take a leading role in building and nurturing the emerging AgTech ecosystem in Latin America by supporting entrepreneurs, bringing together public and private stakeholders, providing funding and driving the “market making” needed to support the long term growth of the sector."
Investment amount: The accelerator fund will invest up to $100,000 into early stage technology companies that sustainably revolutionize agrifood systems globally
Program benefits: The Yield Lab LATAM 2019 accelerator program will meet over the course of the 2019 calendar year, starting in May 2019. Programming sessions will run for one or two days and will take place at a combination of virtual, on site at the co's offices, residential at Yield Lab LATAM headquarters or at key agriculture events across the globe. During this time, companies will be guided through a uniquely developed accelerator program designed to leverage the agriculture assets unique to Latin America.
Portfolio companies: Agree Market, Eiwa, Kilimo
"We work as an internal ally that discovers, connects and integrates Fintech Ecosystem solutions with customer needs of the bank , in order to become leaders of digital experiences for our clients in the world."
Investment amount: Not specified
Program benefits: We invest in benefits and services for your startup (for an equivalent value of up to USD25,000) to carry out the necessary activities that show your value proposition in the Bank.
Portfolio companies: Becual, CoTalker, FounderList, Propiadata
"Startupbootcamp Scale FinTech Mexico City is an innovation program for high growth FinTech companies to expand globally, increase their revenues, and access leading funding opportunities."
Investment amount: $30,000 USD financial support per team to cover living and transportation expenses. Additional to in-cash support, program partners provide perks and discounts in the value of $250,000. In return we ask for 4% equity.
- Over a period of 6 months, companies will receive support to scale their industry-changing technology businesses. In order to facilitate maximum growth, the program is designed around a monthly touch point in Mexico City, with continued support through off-site activities.
- Collaborate deeply with leading corporates from the FinTech industry to secure customers, projects, and partnerships and to grow your revenue.
- Unmatched access to Latin America and global network of mentors, corporate partners, financial services industry experts, and alumni across 40+ countries.
- Working along with your peers at the program is also extremely valuable, since many companies face similar challenges and barriers.
- Continued post-program support far after the 6-month program ends through annual alumni events, deals and tailored introductions.
- Over 100 carefully selected mentors from across the financial services industry who provide hands-on support and valuable insights about Mexico and the Latin American market.
- Free coworking desk space at the Finnovista Loft for the lead members of your team in Mexico City.
- Expert-led sessions and customized workshops covering all the bases; scaling support in business development, marketing, legal, funding and expansion to name a few.
Mentor makeup: Martin Schrimpff, Renita Kalhorn, Marino A. Goren, Matthew Eisner, Dan Block, Israel Ramos, Howard Gregory
Portfolio companies: Pagamobil, Expediente Azul, Facturedo, Quotanda
"Now in its third accelerator, MassChallenge Mexico has accelerated 64 startups that have fundraised more than USD $19.2 million and have created more than 600 jobs since 2016, and our top-tier expert network has donated more than 6,000 hours to help LATAM startups grow their businesses. For our role fostering the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Mexico, we were named a finalist at the “Premio Nacional del Emprendedor” by INADEM."
Investment amount: Startups do not receive any upfront funding but do have the opportunity to compete for approximately $3 million in zero-equity cash awards at the end of the program. MassChallenge does offer a limited number of scholarships, provided by our sponsor organizations.
- Up to MXN $2M in cash and in-kind awards
- Four month curriculum tailored to the maturity level of your startup
- Relationship building and partnership opportunities with top corporates in Mexico that want to co-develop pilots and integrate startup services into their businesses
- Top-tier mentors from Mexico and LATAM
- Four months free coworking space in downtown Mexico City
Portfolio companies: Totolines, Urbvan, Bitso, Bayonet
"We have combined our vast startup acceleration experience and our innovation methodologies and process know-how with the niche experience of midsize and large companies, and we have created tailor-made innovation programs for each of these organizations."
Investment amount: Not specified
- We help you create new solutions (products and services) and startups for your company and / or market.
- We conduct customized training and workshops for your company to develop internal innovation sectors, processes and leaders.
- We do scouting and duedilligence to connect your company with the best startups to invest, hire and acquire.
Portfolio companies: Pinz, Agenda Edu, Digital Influencers, LABPACS, Health Hunters Solutions
"First Accelerator, from Northern Brazil, we believe and foster digital entrepreneurship in our region."
Program benefits: Our accelerator fosters a collaborative environment between accelerated startups and the entrepreneurial community. It has a bank of mentors with experience and knowledge in specific areas and various specialties.
Portfolio companies: DreamKid, Get Delivery, eMercado
"Hypercamp Sevna are thematic acceleration programs for your startup area. With a specific methodology for developing your solution, connecting your startup to market players and reference mentors in the segment, your startup will have opportunity for growth. If you have solutions for any of these segments, don't miss your chance to grow your business."
Investment amount: Not specified
- + 70 mentors and business experts;
- + 30 workshops and + 120 hours of training;
- Consulting and specialized services in the legal and accounting areas;
- Press office;
- + $ 200,000 in vouchers and discounts on numerous platforms;
- Access to global mentors, accelerators and partners
- Possibility of investment.
Portfolio companies: Not specified
(Image source: ak5.picdn.net)
Read more from our "Startup Competition Guide" series
They include MedTech Innovator, The TMCx Accelerator, Insight Accelerator Labs and KOA AccelRead more...
They include Zurich Innovation Championship, VentureClash and FFiT InsurTech CompetitionRead more...