They include StartOut Growth Lab, TechDiversity Accelerator and Backstage AcceleratorRead more...
They include The Technogym Wellness Accelerator and SEG Health and Wellness Accelerator
For startups, there are numerous paths for getting their name out there. One way, which Vator has been covering recently, are startup competitions, but another popular method to get a foot in the door, as well as some funding and traction, are accelerators. These are programs that provide companies advice, guidance and various forms of support for startups in their early stages. They also often invest in the companies, for a certain equity stake.
Need a list of startup competitions, challenges, accelerators, etc. from around the world? Check out VatorX. You can find them, or list yours!
There are some very well-known accelerators out there, including Y Combinator and 500 Startups, which have made their names through various successful alumni. Those programs fairly general, accepting companies from a variety of different spaces.
For some companies, it may help to join an accelerator that only focuses on their specific area. That's especially true for those in more specialized spaces, which will have their own unique challenges and regulations.
Here are some of the accelerators that are focused specifically on mentoring companies in the gaming space:
"The Technogym Wellness Accelerator is an International Acceleration Program that aims to scout and invest in promising startups that operates in the fitness, wellness and health sectors. It is a 4-month full-services program that gives the opportunity to 5 selected startups to work closely with the world leader in the wellness and fitness industry"
Investment amount: Every team receives €15.000 in cash with a possibility for further investment from Technogym at the end of the program. After four months of acceleration, you are invited to pitch at Demo Night to an international audience made by business angels, investors, companies and journalists.
- Accelerator Team: During the program you never walk alone, we provide a full-time dedicated team that work closely with you. The team is made of: Accelerator Director, Program Manager, Program Assistants & Operations Manager. These people take care of your stay and organize weekly meetings to monitor your progress.
- Working Spaces, Room & Board: While staying here you only have to focus on your business. You have space for the whole team with access to all the necessary infrastructure (WiFi network, meeting rooms,…). We also offer amazing food all day long in our restaurant and accommodation on our Campus to each team member.
- Tech Partners: We make your startup’s life easier by giving you access to hundreds of great perks, free or discounted services. The value of these offers is more than €450.000.
- International Opportunity: We are one of the key members of the GAN (Global Accelerator Network). Once a startup takes part into our acceleration programs, it gains access to GAN Services: remote mentorships sessions, tech partners, temporary desk space in other Accelerators. You also have visibility to international investors.
Mentor makeup: You can attend workshops held by our experts covering key themes such as Business Strategy & Development, Communication & Marketing, Coding & Dev, UX & Design, Legal & Fundraising. You also meet with entrepreneurs, investors, managers and business leaders from Technogym and its international network.
Portfolio companies: Hoolio, Coachademy, Gymbag, TrainMe
"We connect the best startups in the world to corporations who want to disrupt the healthcare industry. We focus on digital health technologies that challenge clinical practices, improve data analytics, and enhance the patient journey across the continuum of care."
Investment amount: Stop giving equity to accelerators. We do not ask participating startups to give up any ownership. We would much rather invest in your next round of funding fairly.
- Our venture team invest in over 260 startups globally every year and our check sizes run from $25,000 to $500,000. Become a portfolio family member today.
- We have partnered with over 220 of the world’s largest corporations to help them discover startups. Our startups pitch in private sessions to land pilots and grow faster.
- With over 25 locations across The Americas, Europe, Middle East, and Asia, we can help you scale to new markets faster.
- Our 180,000 square foot building in the heart of Silicon Valley makes it easy for teams to grow hassle free.
- We might not have kombucha on tap (yet), but we do have 300 of the world's best venture capital funds as regular visitors. This has helped our ecosystem raise more than $7bn.
Portfolio companies: Guardant Health, Kenzen, Mammoth Diagnostics, TalkSpace
"DigitalHealth.London’s Accelerator aims to speed up the adoption of technology in London’s NHS, relieving high pressure on services and empowering patients to manage their health."
Investment amount: The Accelerator can connect companies to relevant funding opportunities, but does not provide direct funding.
Program benefits: If your company is seeking engagement and traction within London’s digital health eco-system, taking part in the Accelerator programme can support you with opportunities to connect with NHS stakeholders, industry investors, patients, and other healthtech innovators.
Companies accepted onto the programme will have the opportunity to take part in workshops and training, “meet the expert” sessions, one to one clinics, and other events and learning opportunities hosted and delivered by the Accelerator and its clinical, topical, and business experts.
Each company is also assigned a ‘Navigator’: an experienced professional from the NHS with the expertise to understand their needs and share expertise and advice on products in development, NHS navigation, and business models.
Support focuses on areas specific to individual companies’ needs, with a focus on engagement with different elements of the health and care system. Support may include:
- Engagement with clinicians and healthcare experts
- Refining products to meet NHS need
- Deepening understanding of the health system
- Showcasing innovations in health facilities
- Developing business models to progress product development
- Market access and navigation
Portfolio companies: Cinapsis, medCrowdm, DrDoctor, iPlato Healthcare
"ActiveLab is a bespoke 12-week accelerator programme of fast-track support to develop, connect and scale the best and brightest physical activity businesses. ActiveLab will promote, foster and accelerate cutting-edge innovation in health and physical activity from the UK and across the globe."
Investment amount: Not specified
Program benefits: Across 12-weeks, ActiveLab provides actionable insight to enable innovative businesses to scale throughout the UK and beyond. This is delivered through workshops, collaboration sessions, 1:1 mentorships, sector expert sessions and events to connect businesses with key stakeholders from throughout the sector.
Portfolio companies: GYMetric, EveryMatch, LiveSmart
"Nutrition Greenhouse is a 6-month program where 10 selected companies will be paired with a lead PepsiCo mentor, and the team will be challenged to demonstrate collaboration and measurable progress."
Investment amount: Participating companies and their mentors will plan and execute an initiative using a $20,000 grant to demonstrate collaboration and tangible results in an entrepreneurial fashion. An evaluation committee made up of a third party adjudicator, PepsiCo business units and the PepsiCo Ventures Group will award a $100,000 prize to one winning company based on the company’s progress, level of collaboration and effective use of the $20,000 grant.
Program benefits: Companies will have access to a full library and curriculum of business resources and training modules, and will also be able to collaborate with each other. Companies will benefit from PepsiCo experience and perspective on product development, branding & marketing, sales & distribution, e-commerce, R&D, media relations and other disciplines.
Portfolio companies: A1C Foods, Agrasys, Gryö, Revolicious
"The Techstars Indy team will source, select and accelerate 10 of the most-talented companies in the following potential areas: fan participation, player/driver safety, ticketing, merchandising, athlete performance management, athlete wellness, among others."
Investment amount: Upon acceptance to a Techstars Accelerator, every company is offered a $100,000 convertible note.
Techstars contributes $20,000, which is commonly used as a stipend to support living expenses during the program, and in return receives 6% common stock from each company.
- Access to Techstars resources for life.
- Acceleration in a 90-day Techstars mentor-based Accelerator program with personal mentorship and office space to accelerate your business.
- Lifetime access to the Techstars worldwide network of entrepreneurs including more than 10,000 mentors; 2,700 investors; 1,200 alumni companies and 180 staff members.
- Access to over $300k of cash equivalent hosting, accounting and, legal support –plus other credits and perks worth more than $1M.
- Demo Day exposure and other investor connections.
Portfolio companies: None yet
"The SEG Accelerator provides social entrepreneurs the tools, networks and resources to validate their idea, understand their customer, and formalize growth strategies from fundraising to social impact measurement."
Investment amount: $500 is due upon registration. A $2,000 pay-it-forward contribution (tax-deductible) will be due upon reaching a $100,000 increase in revenue.
- Curriculum developed and delivered in partnership with Brown University
- Practical workshops led by advisors and experienced social entrepreneurs
- One-on-one coaching with business and community leaders
- A network of advisors with industry and functional expertise
- Priority access to the SEG Loan Fund
Portfolio companies: Elderly Parent Resources, Food on the Move, Hands in Harmony, Kinetic Diabetic, Momunity
(Image source: hrpayrollsystems.net)
Read more from our "Startup Competition Guide" series
They include Lesbians Who Tech + Allies Startup Pitch Competition and ROMBA Conference CompetitionRead more...
They include Freedom from Cancer Startup Challenge and FACIT's Annual Pitch CompetitionRead more...