They include Brigade REAP, Pi Labs Accelerator, Elmspring Accelerator and Dreamit UrbanTech
For startups, there are numerous paths for getting their name out there. One way, which Vator has been covering recently, are startup competitions, but another popular method to get a foot in the door, as well as some funding and traction, are accelerators. These are programs that provide companies advice, guidance and various forms of support for startups in their early stages. They also often invest in the companies, for a certain equity stake.
Need a list of startup competitions, challenges, accelerators, etc. from around the world? Check out VatorX. You can find them, or list yours!
There are some very well-known accelerators out there, including Y Combinator and 500 Startups, which have made their names through various successful alumni. Those programs fairly general, accepting companies from a variety of different spaces.
For some companies, it may help to join an accelerator that only focuses on their specific area. That's especially true for those in more specialized spaces, which will have their own unique challenges and regulations.
Here are some of the accelerators that are focused specifically on mentoring companies in the real estate space:
"Brigade Real Estate Accelerator Program (REAP) aims to help Innovators and Inventors utilise technology to create sustainable and scalable businesses in the Real Estate industry, an industry ripe for disruption."
Investment amount: Not specified
- The 4 month Program is a well structured one that covers almost every aspect required in helping a company create a scalable and sustainable business. It covers areas like Product management, Technology, Strategy, Marketing, HR, Finance, Legal, IP, PoC, Traction etc.
- The team at Brigade REAP come with years of experience in the corporate world, entrepreneurship but more importantly have helped set up an accelerator program that has seen some path breaking companies scale successfully and raise funding.
- Young companies need access to customers at every stage in their journey. Whether it is a company who is willing to provide them with a test bed and a pilot or customers who are willing to listen to them with an open mind to onboard disruptive solutions, for a price.
- The program has on board investment mentors who will share insights on an ongoing basis on the 'viability' of the business model, the possible tweaks that a company may want to explore. This is a departure from the standard practice of meeting investors at demo day. We believe this will get companies progressively ready for scale and investment. In addition the Brigade group has set aside a fund to invest in startups that show promise while in the program. The team at REAP will also help with developing an in Depth Investor Pitch and business plan and on Demo day will be provided the opportunity to present to investors from across the country.
- An invigorating self-contained work space with all facilities and amenities to help companies focus on their core - Building a successful company. The companies in the program will have access to office spaces across 5 locations in Bangalore (JP Nagar, Koramangala, Lavelle road, Rajajinagar,Whitefield) Chennai and Hyderabad. You could use the space for meetings, anything to help you accelerate your growth.
Mentor makeup: "The panel of mentors have been selected keeping in mind the sectors that we are focusing on but also the various disciplines required to help a company scale. We have been fortunate to have Industry leaders, successful entrepreneurs who have been there, done 'that' who have agreed to devote time to work with young companies to help them grow."
Portfolio companies: QwikSpec, PParkE, AirZaar, Constapark
"Property Innovation Labs (Pi Labs) was founded to become the centre of the property innovation ecosystem with the vision to identify, mentor, invest in and accelerate high-calibre startup ventures who have the passion and ability to create scalable businesses that will disrupt the property sector."
Companies will receive the full investment at the start of the accelerator programme. The investment includes a £10,000 fee, inclusive of VAT, which will be deducted at the time of investment.
Companies that have initial traction can apply for our warrant option. The warrant gives us the right to acquire up to 5% (on a fully diluted basis) of the equity at a discount in your next round of funding.
- Weekly workshops from leading entrepreneurs
- Guidance on investment documentation
- Property industry network
- Free office space
- Free services
- Weekly progress reviews
Portfolio companies: Not specified
"MetaProp is the world’s leading early stage PropTech investment, advisory and startup acceleration firm."
Investment amount: Up to $250,000 in financing
- 22-week program focused on driving business growth and accelerated market penetration, including:
- Curated access and introductions to decision-makers, pilots, premier sources of global investment capital and media
- Weekly Silicon Valley Bank Guest Speaker Series
- 301 Real Estate curriculum led by esteemed adjunct professors
- Participation in exclusive Pilot Days and Demo Days, as well as discounted or free attendance at dozens of local, national and international industry roundtables and networking events
- Pairing with select C-level mentors from MetaProp’s RE200 industry mentor network covering each of the 10 major real estate disciplines
- Access to all MetaProp Advisors services during the program including strategy, fundraising, media relations and PR, in-house recruiting, business development, sales and digital marketing
- Access to corporate program partners as well as free goods and services valued at over $200,000
Mentor makeup: Adam Stanley, Sara Queen, Brandon Weber, David Santee, Steve Schlafman, Maria Seredina
Portfolio companies: Doorport, Hoozip, Irene, LocateAI
"Our mission is to help companies connect with one of the largest industries in the world: real estate. By helping companies innovate in the industry we help hundreds of thousands of small businesses, millions of REALTORS® and consumers and the economy as a whole."
- Mentorship: VCs, entrepreneurs and from the most successful real estate moguls in the industry.
- Demo Days: centered around the industry’s largest events. Let us unveil you to your marketplace.
- Education: to help you navigate the market and optimize your reach
- Association: not everyone can be associated with NAR’s $4.5 billion brand. Are you up to the challenge?
Mentor makeup: Jeffrey Campbell, Dave Stein, BK Allen, Grier Allen, Tray Bates
Portfolio companies: Back At You Media, Deductr, TermScout
"Our Real Estate Tech Innovation Platform is an ecosystem connecting forward-thinking corporations with the best startups in the industry."
Investment amount: Not specified
Program benefits: Startups will get access to different business units at the largest construction, property management, architecture, and planning companies.
Portfolio companies: Cherry Labs, Qlair, Matterport
"The elmspring accelerator is a venture accelerator that invests in technology startups who aim to disrupt the real estate and housing industry."
Investment amount: Seed funding: unrestricted $20k investment
- Access to partner insights: meaningful access to brokers, lenders, investors, property managers, home builders, developers, and much more
- Mentorship: an open network of industry experts at your finger tips
- Hi-tech office space: private space at 1871, Chicago’s digital hub
- Marketing support: immediate strategic support from our partners, Sunbeam Marketing Solutions
- Business training: access to all seminars and sessions offered by 1871 plus a dedicated workshop series exclusively for elmspring participants
- Administrative assistance: on-site admin support from elmspring staff
- Rush Event: pitch to strategic partners and investors at demo day
Mentor makeup: Adam Falkof, Bill Bennett, Eli Gratz, Kristin Tews
Portfolio companies: Fluxee, Digibilt, Abode, HerbFront
"Colliers Proptech Accelerator Powered by Techstars focuses on solving problems across the property & commercial real estate industry. The possibilities for innovation, disruption & productivity enhancing opportunities are endless. The partnership combines Techstars expertise in tech innovation, startups & alumni network with Colliers’ expertise in real estate, enterprising culture & global network. We are interested in any businesses that touch the property & commercial real estate value chains."
Investment amount: Upon acceptance to a Techstars Accelerator, every company is offered a $100,000 convertible note. Techstars contributes $20,000, which is commonly used as a stipend to support living expenses during the program, and in return receives 6% common stock from each company.
- Access to Techstars resources for life.
- Acceleration in a 90-day Techstars mentor-based Accelerator program with personal mentorship and office space to accelerate your business.
- Lifetime access to the Techstars worldwide network of entrepreneurs including more than 10,000 mentors; 2,700 investors; 1,200 alumni companies and 180 staff members.
- Access to over $300k of cash equivalent hosting, accounting and, legal support –plus other credits and perks worth more than $1M.
- Demo Day exposure and other investor connections.
Mentor makeup: Elias Mulamoottil, David Bowden, Dylan Taylor, John Kenny, Zachary Michaud
Portfolio companies: None yet
"In the global marketplace, one size doesn’t fit all. That is especially true for today’s diverse and competitive startup ecosystem. Inhab Real Estate Tech Accelerator is not your traditional accelerator program—it’s a next-generation acceleration initiative."
Potential to get up to USD 500,000k in financing
- 12 % of equity shares for entering the acceleration program and refining the concept using our tools and network, this is in lieu of program fees and our time.
- Seed round funding of USD 25K for additional 4 % of equity shares for successful startups that pass the 26 week program and demonstrate a working prototyope with traction
- Additional funding opportunity of up to USD 500K as seed round funding from our partner and client network in case they find your concept great. The equity stake will be decided on the quantum of investment and product potential.
- Work closely with Inhab team in Asia & Middle East for six months
- Leverage our relationships and showcase your concept to our network of leading Real Estate companies, investors, and professionals
- Proprietary curriculum based on years of running our companies, investing, mentoring startups and running acceleration programs.
Mentor makeup: Srdan Mahmutovic, Frank Fan, Andrew Wong, Sotiris Yannopoulos
Portfolio companies: Not specified
"Dreamit Ventures is a fund and accelerator focused on startups with revenue or pilots that are ready to scale. Dreamit UrbanTech focuses on real estate, construction, and smart city startups."
Dreamit has re-engineered the accelerator model to fit the needs of more mature startups. Our founder-friendly offer allows startups to participate without initial material dilution. The program is designed specifically for founders who are looking to increase the number of large, enterprise-level customers before raising their next material round of financing. The program also assumes that your company has sufficient capital to participate in the program or to achieve your next round of funding (approximately six months).
Upon joining the program, startups provide Dreamit with the following:
- The right to invest up to $500K in your next round of funding at a 20% discount to the terms set by your lead investor. For example, if your next funding round is a $5M financing at a $15M pre-money valuation, Dreamit would have the right to take up to 10% of the round ($500K) at a $12M pre-money valuation (20% discount).
- A $50K Convertible Security that will convert into your next round of funding with no discount. To be clear, this is not a cash investment in your company. In essence, this is a program fee to help us cover a portion of the program costs. Continuing with the example above, this $50K would convert at the $20M post-money valuation ($15M pre-money + the $5M raised), making it worth just 0.25% of your startup’s outstanding equity. Other than the Convertible Security mentioned above, there are no additional costs for companies to participate in the program. However, founders must cover their own travel costs for the Investor Roadshow and Customer Immersion Program.
- 2-week Multi-city Customer Immersions: Meet with senior real estate and construction executives to dramatically reduce your partnership and sales cycles.
- 2-week Multi-city Investor Roadshow: One-on-one meetings with interested investors in their offices. Close your round in less time.
- Deep Domain Expertise and Critical Advice: Find success more quickly working with successfully exited urbantech entrepreneurs.
Portfolio companies: Not specified
"Join RElab to work with a deep network of real estate, technology and business leaders to test and explore ideas that will transform the world of real estate."
Investment amount: Finalists have potential to pitch for significant seed or scale up investment depending on company stage. While the amount of investment available is discretionary and depends on company stage, success of project, due diligence, etc, the potential investment is from a group of investors that have the experience and capability to invest anything between £50k and £10m as well as the capacity to follow on as the business scales up. The investment approach and philosophy is to be value add investors and aligned to partner your business as it grows.
Each team participating in RElab enters into an Option Agreement as part of the onboarding process. The terms, including valuation, are agreed case by case and are very much bespoke to each start-up.
- London workspace
- World class mentors
- Product validation
- Live testing
- Opportunity for investment
- Curated programme of events
Portfolio companies: Not specified
(Image source: housesforsalesandiego.net)