NeedsList raised $1M; Novi Money secured $3 M; Payveris closed $7M; Zava landed $32MRead more...
Lamudi raised $31.4M; Sonatype completed $30M funding round; Zendrive secured $13.5M funding
- Zendrive raised $13.5 million in funding for its service to make transportation safer. The investment was led by Sherpa Capital and will be used to improve the company’s technology and add more talent to the team. Valuation was not disclosed. Zendrive uses data and analytics pulled from apps using its technology to improve safety on the road. Besides Sherpa Capital, other participants include Fontinalis Partners, BMW i Ventures, First Round Capital, Tad Montross, Thomvest Ventures, and Nyca Partners.
- German dating app Ohlala raised $1.7 million in seed funding and announced its move into the US by launching in New York City. Investors include Max Finger, Ben Kubota, and Markus Ertler. Ohlala connects people for paid dates. Men that use the app can enter in information about the date they’re looking for, time, and price range. Women on the app can browse these date requests and decide to initiate a conversation with the man. No user details are shared until she has decided to go on a date, in order to preserve security and privacy.
- Hobnob, a start-up reimagining the traditional invite model by offering beautifully designed, text-based event invites in under 60-seconds, announced a seed financing round of $2.25 million today. The Seed Investors include Norwest Venture Partners, Aspect Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Greycroft, who are attracted to Hobnob’s design, efficiency, and signature ‘app-less’ approach that allows users to interact with the service via text, mobile web, or the native app.
- Cirdan Imaging Limited, a Lisburn, Northern Ireland, UK-based company that firm designs, manufactures and distributes software and imaging solutions for the acceleration and enhancement of medical diagnosis, raised £2.9 million (approximately $4.2 million) in its latest funding round. The round was led by Kernel Capital, which invested £2m through the Bank of Ireland Kernel Capital Growth Funds, with participation from equity Kainos plc (£0.9 million). A further £0.6 million investment is in progress to bring the total to £3.5 million.
- Fit Pay, Inc. closed $3.1 million in seed funding, led by Giesecke & Devrient (G&D), a supplier of mobile security products, software and solutions to banks, mobile network operators, and OEMs. Fit Pay has developed a payment enablement platform that allows wearable device manufacturers to seamlessly add contactless payment capabilities to their products.
- WiSilica, a company that is creating smart environments, closed a $3.35 million Series A round, led by FirstFloor Capital, with Anchor Asia Management, Aurotek and several of the company's original angel investors also participating. The funding will enable WiSilica to support growing customer demand for its platform and support expansion across multiple applications and markets, including the smart home, lighting, energy management and across industries.
- OwnBackup, a cloud-to-cloud backup and recovery vendor, closed a $3.5 million Series A financing round, led by Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors with participation from Oryzn Capital. The company will use the investment to accelerate its global growth, drive continued product innovation and significantly expand its engineering, development, sales and marketing teams.
- Vancouver-based Foodee closed $6 million Series A funding round, led by BDC Capital to fuel its ongoing expansion into US markets. Foodee is a food concierge service that delivers meals from local restaurants to company boardrooms. To date, Foodee has raised $10 million from Canadian and US investors including Yaletown Venture Partners, Voyager Capital, and Structure Capital.
- Programmatic advertising platform Admedo closed a $6 million Series B funding round, led by MMC Ventures. The round, which also drew support from existing investors Sussex Place Ventures, will be used to aid Admedo’s international expansion plans. Founded in 2013, London-based Admedo already has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Berlin and Paris and will be expanding to Dubai in a few months.
- Hortau, a provider of precision irrigation management systems and services since 2002, secured $10 million in financing to fuel company growth and broaden its service offering to growers in North America. The investment is the third major round of financing in the past 20 months for Hortau, establishing itself as a proven leader in precision irrigation management for agriculture. The $10 million U.S. investment comes from a group that is led by Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners, LP (ACAP), and joined by BDC Capital, Inc., and repeat investors Avrio Ventures LP II and Capital régional et coopératif Desjardins.
- Sonatype, a company that helps customers create automated, policy-driven software component security, completed a $30 million round, led by Goldman Sachs. The investment was a mix of debt and equity financing and was handled by Goldman’s Principal Strategic Investments Group, rather than Goldman’s venture capital arm, Sonatype CEO Wayne Jackson explained.
- Lamudi, a real estate listings site backed by Rocket Internet, closed a fresh investment worth €29 million ($31.4 million) to strengthen its business in Asia and Latin America. Lamudi (Asia and Latin America) closed the new investment from a trio of Rocket Internet stalwarts: Asia Pacific Internet Group — a joint venture from Rocket Internet itself and Qatari operator Ooredoo — Holtzbrinck Ventures and Tengelmann Ventures, a division of retail group Tengelmann. The three are all existing backers, having fronted Lamudi’s previous $18 million round, which closed almost exactly one year ago.
VC's Raising Funds
- General Catalyst, a venture capital firm that makes early-stage and transformational investments, closed its eighth fund, raising a total of $845 million, it was announced in a blog post on Thursday. The funding will be split between General Catalyst Group VIII, L.P. and General Catalyst Group VIII Supplemental, L.P. The firm last raised a new fund back in 2013, with its $675 million Fund VII. With the money raised for Fund VIII, General Catalyst has now raised $3.75 billion in total capital.
If you are interested in being included in our funding roundup, submit your press release or blog post about your financing round to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image source: www.digital.je
Read more from our "Daily Funding Roundup" series
Strand Therapeutics raised $6M; Liveoak secured $8M; FormAssembly landed $10M; TrueLayer closed $35MRead more...
Sheltr raised $3.2M; Moleaer landed $5 M; AnyRoad closed $9.2M; Georges secured $11.2MRead more...
Related Companies, Investors, and Entrepreneurs
Joined Vator on
In 1911, Henry Phipps founded Bessemer Securities to reinvest the proceeds of his sale of Carnegie Steel for the benefit of his descendents. The start-up investment operations were spun out into Bessemer Venture Partners, which now operates out of seven offices around the globe.
Joined Vator on
Our experience makes us realistic about how businesses unfold, and we can advise our portfolio companies at all phases of growth. Our size, global presence and heritage enable us to offer our venture capital and growth equity portfolio companies high-level, long-term assistance.
Joined Vator on
There’s a simple premise behind the founding of General Catalyst (GC) in 2000: entrepreneurs are best served by those who've been in their shoes. In fact, all of GC’s managing directors are accomplished entrepreneurs in their own right. We’re familiar with the challenges you face. And we thrive on our ability to use our entrepreneurial experience to assist, guide, and nurture entrepreneurs on their journey.
As a venture capital firm focusing on Early Stage and XIR/Growth investments, we're thrilled to encounter and delight in helping exceptional entrepreneurs and innovative companies bring a new product to market or transform an industry. But it’s more than just writing a big check. We're tireless in our business-building and partnership development assistance.