If you are an entrepreneur, why? I want to change the worldRead more...
No. 1 mistake: Focusing too much on the money and not on the product
Today's Entrepreneur is Ramuel Maramara, CEO and Founder of Brimes Energy, which has created the product Jellyfish, a machine that harvests the energy of ocean waves and converts it into electrical energy. Wave energy has an available 30kW to 80kW per meter of coastline. To visualize this number, imagine a man walking on the beach parallel to the waves. For every step he makes, the available power in waves can provide electricity to 5-8 homes.
Brimes Energy is one of the top 15 finalist to present at Splash Oakland on May 6-7. Be sure to support Maramara and Brimes Energy. Register here.
Maramara graduated from the University of Philippines with a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering. Here's a look at his entrepreneurial background.
Companies I've founded or co-founded:
Companies I work or worked for:
Achievements (products built, personal awards won):
Built a fully functional 6 wheeled, all wheel drive dumptruck, with integrated front payloader, at age 8, using old toy motors and gears and barbeque sticks. (we were poor)
#3 Overall Mechanical Engineering Board Exam taken by 2000+ engineers
#1 Machine Design, #3 PowerPlant fundamentals, #3 Mathematics
99+ Percentile Rating, National Secondary Achievement Test- Nationwide high school exam
Awarded youngest Executive Distributor age 17- Selling fish oil to support college
Designed and built 100's of unique industrial machines
If you are an entrepreneur, why?
I was born to do this. Building amazing machines is my passion, my love.
My favorite startups:
What's most frustrating and rewarding about entrepreneurship/innovation?
I know how to build it, I have the design, I have the right team.I just want to BUILD it but lack of funds comes in the way.
What's the No. 1 mistake entrepreneurs make?
Don't focus on the money. Build amazing products first. Money will just come.
What are the top three lessons you've learned as an entrepreneur?
1. It's all about the customer. Make them happy by being an amazing designer.
2. Don't focus on the profit per project. Always long term.
3. Quality is expected. Not a selling proposition.
#3 Mechanical Engineering Board Exam
#1 Machine Design
99+ Percentile Rating at National Secondary Achievement Test
Awarded youngest Executive Distributor age 17
Designed and built 100's of unique industrial machines
Started building machines at age 8.
Brimes Energy- 2013-Present
We aim to manufacture devices that solve some of our energy problems.
- We are best equipped to do this because of our experience, expertise, creativity and persistence. We believe that new innovative products that truly solves an energy problem will bring a profit and that profit will be used to further the mission of the company.
- We aim to work at the renewable energy sphere. Our first project to tackle is a Hydro Kinetic Marine energy device that produces energy from the constant movement of water, i.e. waves. We named our invention "Jellyfish".
Brimes Industrial Inc. 2010-Present
We are an industrial technology company.
- Our specialization is designing amazing machines. Whether those are one of a kind metal forming machines or hi-speed packaging machines, we can design them and we can make them.
- We can design and build a stand alone industrial machinery or complete production lines.
- We provide contract engineering services to companies that need consultants who are knowledgable and experienced.
- We fabricate weldments in house and supply machined parts.
- We are well experienced in pneumatic control design, hydraulic equipment design, motor and motor controls, PLC programming, touchscreen programming,control system design, mechanism design etc.
Lead Machine Designer
PDC Intenational 2007-2010
- I designed and led a team of engineers to build the new Evolution Series of machines.
- I led machinery design for high value clients:
East Asia Mechatronics 2003-2009
Design and fabrication of industrial machines including integration of welding robots.
Handled sales to high value clients
Honda Motor Parts Inc.
Amkor Anam Semiconductors
Marson Machinery Started 2000- Failed
Issho Genki Corp- Food supplement distributor 1996-1998
Awarded youngest Executive Distributor at 17- selling Fish Oil capsules
Read more from our "Today's Entrepreneur" series
You need to reinvent yourself over and over again as a founder as your startup moves between stagesRead more...
Follow the mission, work with people you respect and trust, remember to enjoy the journeyRead more...
Related Companies, Investors, and Entrepreneurs
Joined Vator on
We’re pivoting because of the recent success of our prototype
The Jellyfish is now capable of producing electricity, desalinate sea water or both.
Our product is the Jellyfish. It's a machine that harvests the energy of ocean waves and converts it into usable energy. We have recently reached 55% absorbtion efficiency. No other commercial wave technology has claimed efficiency numbers higher than this.
Wave energy has an available 30kW to 80kW per meter of coastline. To visualize this number, imagine a man walking on the beach parallel to the waves. For every step he makes, the available power in waves can provide electricity to 5-8 homes.
We also have a manufacturing facility in place ready to build the Jellyfish.
We are currently in talks for our in ocean testing pilot.
Joined Vator onMechanical Engineer #3 Mechanical Engineering Board Exam #1 Machine Design 99+ Percentile National Secondary Achievement Test Awarded youngest Executive Distributor age 17 Designed and built 100's of unique industrial machines Serial Entrepreneur