Reuben Katz presents his achievement-based network for developersRead more...
A look at an ad solutions to help publishers monetize outbound links
Many publishers often make recommendations about books or products, and link off to sites like Amazon so their readers can buy the books or products. Amazon pays the publisher for these links if that reader ends up buying a product. Did you know that there are 15,000 such affiliate programs that will pay for your reader base either if they buy a product or just visit? One company trying to connect publishers with those programs is called VigLink.
On this week's Vator Box with Ezra Roizen and Bambi Francisco, Alex Rosen of IDG Ventures joins us as our guest host. Oliver Roup, CEO and founder of VigLink, which is backed by Google Ventures, First Round and Emergence Capital, was the entrepreneur in the spotlight.
Here are highlights from this segment:
- Roup pulls off a very polished pitch, reflecting his confidence and experience. In less than 90 seconds, he explains VigLinks value proposition and market opportunity. According to Roup, there are 15,000 merchants that offer affiliate programs which pay out about $2.5 billion every year in the U.S. For publishers, VigLink is easy to install. The company's software is installed on sites that on aggregate generate five billion pageviews a month.
- VigLink can give back to publishers within 20% of what Google's AdSense generates for a publisher. On a CPM (cost-per-thousand) basis, it can generate CPMs of $3 to $5.
- VigLink is completely incremental and is non-duplicative with other advertising solutions, such as Google's AdSense, Kontera and Vibrant.
- VigLink works with a number of customers, such as Internet Brands, PC World and MacWorld. Forums are also well monetized via Viglink. There are potentially tons of outbound links that are not monetized on forums.
- VigLink takes 25% of the affiliate programs fees, and the rest goes to the publisher.
- No single customer accounts for 20% of VigLink's revenue. And, no single merchant accounts for a big bulk of affiliate fees paid out.
Watch the rest of Vator Box to hear Oliver give his pitch and Ezra Roizen (host) and Bambi Francisco (host) and Alex Rosen (guest host) give their feedback.
Read more from our "Vator Box" series
Rebeccan Lynn and David Hornik are guests host on Vator BoxRead more...
Mobile way to discover who's around you with similar interestsRead more...
Related Companies, Investors, and Entrepreneurs
Joined Vator on
VigLink automatically affiliates existing links to merchants and advertisers, and creates new links by analyzing web page content for product and merchant references. VigLink delivers a new revenue source to website publishers totally complementary to display ads and text advertising.